The rural town of Methven is nestled at the foot of the monumental Southern Alps on the outer edges of the Canterbury Plains. A classic kiwi agricultural hub that transforms into a lively ski village during the winter, this is where you’ll find ‘real’ New Zealanders, a cheerful down-to-earth vibe, and a warm welcome.
The local ski field (Mt Hutt) was awarded New Zealand’s Best Ski Resort in both 2015 and 2016. It boasts four freestyle terrain parks and a skiable area of 386 hectares, so whatever your skill level, you’ll find plenty to keep you occupied and challenged. There are also a handful of smaller ski fields within a two hour drive of Methven, if you fancy some different snow with a bit of a road trip adventure thrown in.
Off-mountain activities in the area include clay shooting and archery, jet boating, Lord of the Rings tours (see the filming location for Edoras), and countless walking and mountain biking trails. An excellent range of accommodation is available, including low-cost backpacker hostels, charming farmstays and bed-and-breakfasts, family-friendly motels, and luxury lodges. You won’t go hungry, with an array of eateries offering everything from fine dining to top notch fish and chips. In short, Methven is well-practised in providing everything you need for an outstanding ski holiday, and takes great pride in doing so. Bring on the winter revelry!
Nearby Ski Fields
The most complete terrain mix of any ski area in the South Island, this high-country ski area has a true Kiwi attitude and hospitality to match.
|Methven||Mt Hutt||45 min|
|Christchurch||Methven||1 hr 20 min|
|Christchurch Airport||Methven||1 hr 15 min|
|Christchurch Airport||Mt Hutt||1 hr 45 min|
|Methven||Queenstown||5 hr 00 min|
Kids Ski, Stay & Play for Free
Children under 10 years old qualify for all sorts of free products and services when accompanied by a paying adult. Save money on accommodation, lift passes, meals and more, and treat the family to a memorable holiday for less moolah. Some conditions do apply, so please ask us for more info.
5 More Reasons to Choose Methven
- Hot air ballooning – Methven is one of the best locations in the country to take a scenic flight in a big balloon. It calls for an early morning start, but nothing beats the magical serenity of floating over the patchwork-like plains as the world wakes up below you, with the sunrise on one side and snow capped alps on the other.
- Golf – if you’re partial to a few rounds, the area boasts several superb courses. The best of these is Terrace Downs, an 18-hole championship course that is rated one of the finest in Aotearoa (New Zealand). Even the most experienced players will be challenged here, and the alpine vistas and dramatic views of the Rakaia Gorge provide a stunning backdrop.
- NZ Alpine & Agricultural Encounter – located in central Methven, this engaging interactive visitor attraction has been created to give a real understanding of life in rural Canterbury, as well as the way that snow sports and farming (the two key industries) are linked to make the town a unique destination. Lots of cool stuff to keep little hands busy, so a great outing for the whole family.
- The Blue and Brown Pubs – on opposite corners of the main road intersection in the middle of town, you can’t miss the famous blue and brown buildings. Blue is known for its live music scene and as the endpoint of the famous Peak to Pub challenge; Brown is a classic country establishment. Both are cosy and welcoming with great food and drink on offer, as well as hotel accommodation.
- At just over an hour’s drive from Christchurch Airport, you can be checked into your accommodation and up the mountain in no time.